Monday, November 07, 2005

New Yard Birds

The White-Crowned Sparrows are back. I’ve had a couple visit the feeders in past winters, but this weekend a good half dozen showed up – including several males. While I was watching them, along with the usual House Sparrows, House Finches, and California Towhees, I noticed a different looking sparrow scratching around in the dirt. It was much more secretive than the others and kept hiding behind plants. I eventually got a good look at it and identified it as a Song Sparrow. Not an uncommon bird, but not one I had really expected to ever show up in the yard. My other new yard bird is a Say's Phoebe. He has been in the neighborhood for a while and I finally saw him land on the front fence, so I can (barely) count him as a yard bird now.

2 comments:

The Old Women said...

I don't think I've ever had a Say's. I have Junco's now, you?

Spike said...

Nope, I haven't had a Junco in the yard yet (ever). I've seen them a couple miles away, so it should just be a matter of time. I hope. :)