Sunday, January 14, 2007

New Year's Day Pictures

I'm a bit behind on posts... here's one I should have had up a couple weeks ago:

On the first day of the new year I birded one of my favorite spots down here in SD - the Tijuana River National Estuarine Research Reserve down in Imperial Beach. Here are two reasons why I like this place:

Whimbrel


American Kestrel


Before heading all the way down to IB, I stopped by Mission Bay to look at ducks - mainly Lesser Scaup and Redheads. Then on to Famosa Slough. The tide was very high that morning and there was an amazing lack of birds in the slough. Then I moved on to Robb Field to look in the San Diego River Flood Control Channel. The usual contingent of shorebirds, gulls, and terns were there. I wasn't able to find any unusual gulls hidden among the large flocks of Ring-billed, California, and Western gulls. But I did finally see the Tricolored Heron that had been frequently reported at Famosa Slough, but that I seemed to always miss. This was a life bird for me, so helped make for a nice start to the year.

Steve

No comments: